New Year's Resolutions or Reflections

During the Holidays many reflect on the previous year and start their mental list of Could of, Would of, IF’s, and Should of… Sometimes it is a good time to reflect and find one thing that may be different for you in the upcoming year. However, many begin to doubt themselves, beat themselves up, or even negatively criticize or judge others around them for their mistakes or lack in discipline or self-judgment. Here’s my tip on resolutions that can benefit you instead of turn sour for your or loved ones around you. Choose one thing to change and remember that change does not occur over night. For me it is changing my diet choices to more healthy choices because when I eat healthy, my whole family eats healthy! Yes, there are many more things I can think of that I need to improve or change, but it all gets so overwhelming that often the New Year’s Resolutions are forgotten about in February. Therefore I like to choose one and encourage clients to just choose one and stick with it! The buddy system is always good when needing some accountability and extra support, especially if your goal is to go to the gym or work out more. The key to victory when setting a resolution for yourself is to not set your expectations too high. Instead of wanting to run a marathon, try setting your resolution for a 5k. Setting your expectations higher than you can possibly achieve sets you up for failure. Often when you place pressure on yourself to be healthier, more faithful, thinner, more organized, in the moment, etc. and then you go back to being who you were in December, you doubt your abilities, feel negative about yourself and become discouraged with your capabilities of doing better, and take it out on your self-worth. Just because society says you have to set resolutions, it’s ok not to when circumstances are difficult and there is no time to make changes. There are 365 days to choose to change an old habit or improve your lifestyle. Don’t beat yourself up if you are unable to in January. If you choose not to make a resolution, reflect back on the past year. Ask yourself "What was my happiest moment?" "What ways did I succeed?" "When was my family the most balanced?" "When did I learn from a mistake?" "How did I cope through a difficult time?" "When did I laugh the hardest?" "How was I blessed?" 
New Year's can be a positive turning point for many with or without resolutions. 


Playful blessings,

Dr. Brooke

Comments