Holiday Hustle and Bustle


The Hustle and bustle of the Holidays- my favorite time of the year- are here. Who knew November would creep up so fast? With Christmas decorations out in all the stores like the day after Halloween and Thanksgiving a few days away, how are you managing your Holiday Blues, Holiday Anxiety, or Holiday grief and guilt??? The holidays often place a financial stress on a family, time restraints because the packed weekend schedule and overwhelming to do lists, and feelings of grief for those lost or guilt for loved ones who you may not have a close relationship with since the previous year. I love Christmas time because I get to celebrate Christmas as a Christian and sing Happy Birthday to Jesus with my children and because two days after I get to celebrate my own birthdayJ. Like many of you, I also start breathing heavier, my blood pressure increases, and my heart beats rapidly when I start to think of all the Christmas gifts to buy and wrap, menu to plan, parties to attend, parties to plan, baking to do, and kids activities to accomplish. When I start to feel overwhelmed by the hustle and bustle, I remind myself that I have tools to use during the holidays to survive the chaos and remember the beautiful peace the holidays bring. Peace-Joy-Love the message on all the Christmas cards that many of forget about during the craziness. Here are a few ways I remind myself to breathe, keep calm, stay grounded, and embrace the happy moments:




1.       Setting appropriate boundaries- Just say no in an assertive way.

2.       Ask for Help- if your feeding 20 family members for Christmas dinner ask everyone to bring a favorite dish, when planning your child’s pre-k Holiday party ask parents to each bring something so that you don’t bear the stress of providing everything for the party.

3.       Less is better- Slow down and take on less, maybe choosing one or two fun holiday activities for the family and saying no to the rest.

4.       Giving- I find during the holiday season that when my husband and I give to local non-profits who serve abused children, donate extra to our church, or adopt-a-child through an organization to shower with gifts that we feel humbled, remembering those who need much more than we do and that our problems are first world problems that don’t compare to some problems across the globe.  Giving is also an amazing lesson that we started teaching our oldest when she was still in diapers. Being blessed and humble starts with knowing how to give to others less fortunate and praying for those less fortunate.

5.       Remembering the purpose of the Holiday- Reminding myself why we celebrate Christmas and the true meaning and purpose of Christmas. Not focusing on the presents that distract from the true meaning, but instead focusing on loving my children and neighbors as God loves me, celebrating Jesus’s birth, rather than the meal planned, and spending quality time as a family rather than everyone doing their own individual activities.  
6. 

 Play Games- Any way you can, incorporate young and old in an activity filled with fun, laughter, and joy. Playing games with the young helps them feel valued and playing games with the elder helps them feel child-like again and remember the fun they had. Playing games also allows everyone to enjoy something fun together instead of eating and then laying on the couch to nap.

Playful Blessings and happy Thanksgiving,
Dr. Brooke

Comments