The Art of Positive Self-Talk


“I failed. I can’t figure this out.”
“I didn’t get it but I can keep trying my best.”


Self-talk encompasses the way we refer to ourselves - internally. Self-talk includes all our thoughts and unspoken statements about what we are capable of achieving, who we are and often, what makes us worthy.

The concept is extremely important in my work with little ones because self-talk is generally formed during early childhood and continues to develop through the lifespan. Children hear statements or perceive information about their abilities, flaws, and worthiness extremely early.

In my collaboration with parents, I often emphasize the importance of their words about their kiddos’ choices: “You’re so MESSY. Pick up! ” vs “Toys are for cleaning up before dinner.” Using this type of communication, caregivers can define unwanted behaviors and consequences - while not diminishing a child’s self-concept.

Additionally, modeling a positive self-concept is one of the best ways to set children on the path of self-talk success. Parents can verbalize their own self-talk or struggles – in a way that does not diminish their own self-concept: “I need to eat less and work out so I stop gaining all this weight!” vs “Mommy is trying to eat healthy foods right now. I want to take care of my body and feel better when I run around with you!”


At HOPE, all of our counselors are trained in child-friendly ways to tweak those problematic self-talk patterns. To learn more about positive self-talk, register for our Social Skills Summer Camp:  June 11-15, 9am-12pm (https://goo.gl/forms/eL2clNed8mBJfaLU2) or contact our office today for individual support!

Kyleigh Johnson, MS, LPC-Intern
Supervised by Dr. Brooke West LPC-S, RPT-S

Kyleigh earned her Masters of Science in Counseling from Southern Methodist University. She completed an internship at Dallas Children's Advocacy Center, where she offered play therapy to abused children. She currently serves as an LPC-Intern at both HOPE and a community counseling agency in Dallas. Kyleigh's specialties include play therapy, teen therapy, trauma interventions with young children, and parenting support services. 

Comments